Myanmar’s military declared a 21 -day resignation on Wednesday to support the efforts of relief and reconstruction as a result of a devastating earthquake in the country, a day after it fired on a Combo of the Chinese Red Cross trying to deliver food and medicine to desperate survivors.
The attack on the Chinese convoy, which was widely convicted of rights activists, highlighted the dangers’ help groups in the country on the country.
It is not clear if the cessation of fire would be honored: armed rebel groups said that the military shakewhich killed at least 2,700.
After the earthquake, the Government of Shadows in exile, known as the National Unity Government, and an alliance of three rebel groups announced. But the military, who seized power in a coup four years ago, had indicated that it would not stop hostilities. The fierce civil war had already caused widespread suffering before the earthquake, which left millions of people with little food and water.
On Wednesday, the Senior MIN Aung Hlaing Office, the head of the Myanmar Board, said that the temporary cessation of the fire would be executed from April 2 to 22. He declared himself « to express sympathy for affected citizens, facilitate humanitarian aid and ensure stability during the recovery period. »
But one day before, he had said that military operations would continue to be « necessary protection measures » despite the earthquake.
« There is nothing necessary or protector to attack people trying to help people, » said Tom Andrews, the special rapporteur of the United Nations on human rights in Myanmar. « Continue throwing military crimes is outrageous. »
On Tuesday at 9.30 pm, the military fired on the Chinese Red Cross convoy near the village of Ummati, in the north of Shan’s state, after the convoy had not notified their presence in advance, according to General Zaw Min Tun, Myanmar’s military spokesman.
An armed rebel group, the National Army of Liberation of Ta’ang, which was part of the rebellious alliance, which declared a one -month cessation, said that the convoy had been traveling to the central city of Mandalay, near the epicenter of the earthquake.
General Zaw Min Tun said that when the convoy was seen, the soldiers tried to block their way, but did not stop. The lanterns were used to point out -about 100 to 200 meters away, but it was still moving. About 100 meters, the soldiers shot three times.
“Because this region is an active conflict zone with ongoing battles between the National Army of Liberation of Ta’ang And the military, the lack of notification could have caused the wrong identification as a hostile entity, « said General Zaw Min Tun.
China’s Red Cross Society did not respond to comments applications. China, which has close relationships with Myanmar, was one of the first countries to respond to the earthquake, deploying search and rescue teams and sending about $ 14 million in emergency aid.
At least 15 countries, including the United States and Russia, have sent help. In recent days, international aid groups such as the World Food and UNICEF program have entered Mandalay and the saga. But Taiwan has said that his offer from a 126 -member rescue team was rejected by Myanmar.
Tayzar San, Mandalay Democracy Activist, accused the Military Board of trying to « try to use this disaster for political gains » instead of focusing on « effective rescue efforts ».
Local residents of the two cities have complained that attempts to help have been blocked by the military.
Ko Thein Swe said that he and his charity group had traveled from Thaton to Mon State with food and medicine, and seeking to help search and rescue missions. But as they went to Mandalay on Sunday, they were told at a military control point that they could not proceed without permission and could only pass by paying the soldiers.
« At a time when so many people suffer, they not only refuse to help, but they do not even have the basic human decency to let others help, » said Mr. Thein Swe.
Myanmar has been in war since the army took power in a coup in 2021. The Board, which controls the urban areas, has lost large strips of land in the face of the powerful ethnic armies of the borders and parts of the Sagaing region to ordinary citizens who took weapons against the Board.
The army has continued to bombard parts of the country from the disaster. Mr. Tayzar, the activist, said that the army had launched more than 100 aerial attacks last week, included in areas affected by the earthquake, citing contacts on the ground.
On Tuesday around 5.30pm, 38 young trainers from the Kachin Army of Independence, an armed group fighting the military in northern Myanmar, died in an air attack in the state of Kachin, according to Colonel Naw Bu, the group’s spokesman.
Chris Buckley contributed to Taipei’s reports and Claire fu of Seoul.
Leave a Reply