Shifting the situation of a cat’s litterbox is a really massive change, so you will have a plan earlier than you get began. You must know the primary steps of adjusting the situation your cat’s litterbox to ensure it’s a clean transition. Right here is every thing it’s worthwhile to cowl:
- 1 The place Are You Shifting the Litterbox to?
- 2 Shifting the Litterbox to One other Flooring
- 3 Making the transfer with no second litterbox
- 4 The Do’s and Don’ts of Litterboxes
The place Are You Shifting the Litterbox to?
Shifting the litterbox from one room to a different could be very totally different than shifting it from one flooring to a different, so the method goes to be totally different as properly. We’re going to stipulate the 2 variations together with the steps that go into every of them:
Shifting the Litterbox to One other Flooring
First off, when you stay in a home, it is best to have two litterboxes in your cat, however we’ll get to that within the second a part of the article. If you wish to transfer the litterbox from the basement to the primary flooring, you have got an excessive amount of floor that your cat can cowl simply out of reminiscence. Because of this you want the second litterbox for the transfer.
Make the transfer progressively
To scale back the stress that comes with shifting the litterbox, you need to make the method of it develop regularly over a number of days. Listed here are the primary steps:
- Place the second litterbox within the desired new location, however maintain the previous litterbox as a substitute.– this manner, your cat may have a backup litterbox the place it already feels snug till it will get accustomed to the brand new one.
- Present your cat the brand new litterbox. – this introduction step is essential and your cat might embrace the brand new location from the very begin. Even when it doesn’t, you continue to have to point out it the place it’s a number of occasions.
*Some articles advise that you simply wait till your cat has to urinate and take it to the brand new litterbox. Others even advise that you simply take your cat from its previous litterbox whereas it’s utilizing it and take it to the brand new litterbox. We strongly advocate that you don’t do this. This can be a highly-intrusive and will end in emotional trauma.
- Transfer the previous litterbox nearer to the brand new location. – In our instance, take it to the doorway to the basement as a result of it should maintain the previous litterbox on the route that your cat is used to taking, however present it that one thing is altering.
- Maintain displaying your cat the brand new littebox, however don’t drive it into utilizing it. – Perseverance will earn you factors on this process, however so will a light-weight contact. Take your cat to the brand new litterbox and put it inside it provided that the cats permits you to try this. If it exhibits any signal of opposing this, cease proper there and let the cat go.
- Shut the doorway to the previous location of the litterbox and transfer the previous litterbox nearer to the brand new one. – Setting boundaries is essential and one among them is letting your cat know that the previous location of the litterbox is not obtainable. Putting its previous litterbox on the best way to the brand new one will ease the relocation course of. It is best to anticipate a little bit of a protest, so don’t be stunned in case your cat marks its territory in entrance of the closed door.
*If the marking persists for greater than every week, you could have to consider putting a litterbox there. It’s a lot simpler to reward your cat for doing one thing good (utilizing a litterbox) than scolding it for doing one thing dangerous (marking the carpet). There are different methods of creating that particular place undesirable, resembling putting a litterbox that your cat doesn’t like, which can almost definitely make it go to the opposite one.
Has your cat began to make use of the brand new litterbox within the new location?
1. Sure – Then you’re virtually finished with the shifting course of. All you could have left to do is take away the previous litterbox, leaving the brand new location as the only choice. As for the litterboxes, you’ll be able to place each of them within the new location in order that your cat feels snug. You’ll be able to then see which one it prefers and hold that one.
2. No – In case your cat is utilizing its previous litterbox positioned within the intermediate location, however refuses to make use of the brand new litterbox within the new location, there’s a probability that it might not just like the field itself. The next step is to maneuver the previous litterbox even nearer to the brand new location, regularly, till you exchange the brand new litterbox with it altogether. New location, standard littebox, comfortable cat.
*In case your cat stops utilizing the previous litterbox as nicely when you cross a sure level, then you might have to rethink your selection for the brand new location. Learn concerning the best traits of the situation of a litterbox under and discover a new place to relocate the litterbox.
Shifting the Cat’s Litterbox to One other Room
If the space is brief, like from one room to a different, then the method will probably be a lot simpler. We nonetheless advocate a second litterbox for the method, however it may be achieved with out it as properly.
Making the transfer with no second litterbox
That is clearly the quickest strategy to make the transfer and the steps are fairly simple. If you wish to transfer your cat’s litterbox with out utilizing a second field, then here’s what you need to do:
- Place the litterbox within the new location.
- Shut the doorway to the previous location and maintain it closed for the next days. – This manner, your cat gained’t have a selection and it should go to the brand new place.
- Present your cat the place you set the litterbox. – You’ll have to do that a number of occasions for it to sink in. Relaxation assured that your cat will keep in mind the place the litterbox it, the query stays whether or not or not it should need to use it.
In case your cat accepts the brand new location, then the shifting course of ought to go easily. Nevertheless, if it doesn’t settle for it, it is best to anticipate protest. Listed here are just a few methods this could present itself:
- Your cat can mark the place proper in entrance of the previous location, presuming it’s nonetheless closed off.
- If the previous location is out there, it may well go and mark the territory there.
- It will possibly urinate or defecate outdoors the litterbox (within the new location) as an indication of protest.If one of these conduct persists and your cat doesn’t settle for the brand new location of the litterbox in every week or extra, then chances are you’ll need to contemplate discovering a brand new location. Traumas brought on by litterboxes can result in conduct points in cats. Should you can forestall these, then you’re well-advised to.
Making the transfer with a second litterbox
Utilizing a second litterbox may make the method smoother, even in case you are shifting it to a different room. Listed here are steps you need to take:
- Place the brand new litterbox within the new location and depart the previous one the place it’s.
- Present your cat the brand new litterbox and let it get used to it, stress-free. – Precisely like we described for giant strikes, having the previous litterbox within the place that your cat is already accustomed to will scale back the stress of the transition.
- Transfer the previous litterbox outdoors the room of the previous location. – It will present your cat that there’s a change coming, however it’s going to ease it into the method.
- Shut the door to the previous location. – This can present your cat that the previous location of the litterbox is not an choice.
- Maintain displaying your cat the brand new litterbox. – Repetition is vital and, ultimately, your cat will take the trace, so maintain displaying it the place the brand new litterbox is with out forcing it into utilizing it. Be perseverant, however not intrusive.
- Make the brand new location the one choice – Both by putting each litterboxes within the new location or by protecting simply one among them there, make the brand new location the one choice on your cat. It will present it that that is the brand new place for it to go.
As for the model with the second litterbox, there’s a probability that your cat won’t prefer it. Because of this it is going to protest for some time. If this kind of conduct persists, then you might need to rethink the brand new location you’ve chosen. However what makes a superb place for the litterbox?
The Do’s and Don’ts of Litterboxes
Selecting the right place in your litterbox has an excellent influence on the connection that your cat has with it. A great place will generate a wholesome relationship, whereas a nasty place may cause litterbox mishaps, emotional trauma, and even persistent problems with the urinary tract in your cat. Listed here are the Do’s and Don’ts of litterboxes:
What sort of litterbox to decide on?
- Do – Open litter bins are best – In these, a cat can see every part in each path, which can make it really feel calm. Furthermore, it won’t really feel secluded or pressured inside, which ought to assist your cat settle for the litterbox simply.
- Do – Closed litterboxes should have at the least two openings – to keep away from traumatizing the cat, be sure your cat has at the very least two entrances. It will make it really feel much less confined when it’s utilizing it
- Don’t – Closed litterboxes with just one entrance – These can set off a claustrophobic response in your cat. Whereas the highest makes it a lot simpler for you, it makes the litterbox a hostile area in your cat. Some cat house owners place these subsequent to partitions and typically even dealing with a wall, making it fairly a darkish scary place for the cat. If there are two cats utilizing this kind of litterbox, then one among them might find yourself trapped inside by the opposite, which could be a very traumatic expertise, so it’s best to keep away from it.
What number of litterboxes per family?
The perfect variety of litterboxes that it is best to have in the home is 1 per cat plus one additional. Meaning two litterboxes for one cat, three litterboxes for 2 cats, 4 litterboxes for 3 cats, and so forth.
Having spare litterboxes on your cats will assist them really feel extra snug and it’ll additionally forestall them from preventing over the litterbox. In the event you stay in a home, you must have one litterbox on each flooring.
- Do – Place the litterboxes in separate locations in your house – makes positive the cats can territorially determine the whole residence by putting the litterboxes in several rooms.
- Don’t – Place the litterboxes one subsequent to the opposite – This may encourage preventing over litterboxes and will show to be inefficient for one of many cats.
Greatest Locations for Litterboxes
- Do – Place the litterbox in a quiet low-traffic space the place your cat can have some privateness – Some cats get shy once they use the litterbox, so make certain it isn’t in an space the place individuals stroll round quite a bit. This might make your cat really feel uncomfortable.
- Do – Place it in socially essential areas of the home – whereas we need to hold these hidden, cats usually are not embarrassed once they should go use the litterbox. Put it someplace they will simply go to, the place they’ve direct entry to. You need to select a spot that’s near the place they spend most of their time. In the event that they need to go up or down two flights of stairs to get to the litterbox, it isn’t a superb place.
- Do – Place it in an space that’s nicely mild and welcoming – the litterbox ought to be positioned in an space of the home the place the cat feels protected. Darkish locations like unlighted basements and garages will make the cat keep away from the litterbox till the final second.
- Don’t – Place it in an space that isn’t all the time obtainable to them – it is rather necessary that the cat can go to the litterbox always. Don’t put it in a room that’s closed for a part of the day, comparable to a toilet that could be closed if you find yourself at work.
- Don’t – Place it in loud areas – reminiscent of close to the washer – loud noises are an enormous stressor for cats, as any cat proprietor who owns a vacuum is aware of. Putting the litterbox in an space with loud noises will create strain for the cat in these moments when it ought to be calm.
- Don’t – Place it in an space with a lot of warmth – the temperature will worsen the odor of the used litter, which is one thing you need to keep away from. You’ll be bothered by the odor and your cat can be distressed by it. Cats are clear animals and they’ll protest if they’ve to make use of a bad-smelling litterbox.
*Relating to the odor, don’t deodorize the litterbox with merchandise like plug-in air fresheners as a result of these might be very troublesome in your cat. Cleansing the litterbox regularly will hold the odor to a minimal.
- Don’t – Place it subsequent to the cat’s meals – cats are very clear animals and they’ll definitely not prefer it for those who place their litterbox subsequent to their meals, so you’ll want to keep away from that as a result of it’ll have an effect on their eating regimen.
Why Is It Essential that Your Cat Has a Good Relationship with the Litterbox?
From selecting the best litterbox to discovering the perfect spot to put it in and all the best way to going by way of your complete shifting course of, every little thing is necessary relating to litterboxes as a result of your cat ought to really feel solely snug to make use of it. Listed here are a couple of the reason why:
That is often step one of an unhealthy litterbox routine. In case your cat will get scared or goes by way of a traumatic episode involving the litterbox, resembling getting trapped inside a field with single opening or getting continually interrupted whereas urinating, it is going to have a response to it. A part of will probably be behavioral and that stress will probably be relieved in one other approach, comparable to scratching the sofa or marking the carpet. The opposite a part of it is going to be the long-term impact of a traumatic relationship with a litterbox, which is urinary tract points.
Stress Bladder and Persistent Urinary Tract Sicknesses
When cats keep away from to make use of the litterbox for a protracted period of time (weeks to months), they could develop stress bladder. Because of this they’ll have a brand new urination sample. They may keep away from utilizing the litterbox for so long as potential and once they do, they’ll attempt to urinate as fast as potential. This results in the unfinished evacuation of the urine within the bladder, which in time can result in persistent sicknesses of the urinary tract.
Persistent Digestive Points
If a cat will keep away from utilizing the litterbox, it is going to even have a precarious defecation sample. Will probably be bloated and constipated for an prolonged time period, which might result in continual issued of the digestive tract through the years.
Whereas it’d look like very simple, as you’ll be able to see, altering the situation of your cat’s litterbox is a way more complicated matter than it appears at first. We hope our information is beneficial to you and that your transition course of goes easily. Have you ever tried any of the strategies we talked about? Do you will have any extra options? Inform us all about your expertise within the feedback part under.